Jonathan was the brother of my generation's maternal GG grandfather, William Galen Cash, which, according to an online "cousin calculator", makes him my generation's GG grand uncle.
Source: Joyce Cash Mencer's 1990 Cash family history♦♦♦
Because it's difficult to read, following is a transcription of it into which I've inserted a larger, cleaner rendition of the eagle:
To all whom it may Concern:
Know ye, that Jonathan Cash, Private, of Captain John G. Bell [‘s] Company H, 185th Regiment of Ohio Infantry volunteers, who was enrolled on the eighteenth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and sixty five, to serve one years (sic) or during the war, is hereby discharged from the service of the United States this twenty sixth day of Sept., 1865, at Lexington, Kentucky, by reason of special order [unintellible]. (No objection to his being reenlisted is known to exist*.)
Said Jonathan Cash was born in Belmont Co[unty] in the state of Ohio, is twenty six years of age, five feet five inches high, fair complexion, hazel eyes, brown[?] hair, and by occupation when enrolled, a farmer.
Given at Lexington, Kentucky, this twenty sixth day of Sept., 1863 [this date appears to be an error, it should be 1865].
*This sentence will be erased should there be anything
in the conduct or physical condition of the soldier
rendering him unfit for the army.
[A.G.O., No 90]
John G Bell (unintelligible)
Capt Co H 185 [Regiment?] Commanding the Reg’t
Additional data about his service (from Ancestry.com)
American Civil War Soldiers about Jonathan Cash
Name: Jonathan Cash
Enlistment Date: 18 Feb 1865
Side Served: Union
State Served: Ohio
Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 18 February 1865 at the age of 26. Enlisted in Company H, 185th Infantry Regiment Ohio on 18 Feb 1865. Mustered Out Company H, 185th Infantry Regiment Ohio on 26 Sep 1865 at Lexington, KY.
Source (access requires subscription to Ancestry.com)
About the 185th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (from Ancestry.com):
One Hundred and Eighty-fifth Infantry. - Col., John E. Cummins; Lieut.-Col., Dennis E. Williams; Maj., Horatio N. Benjamin. This regiment was organized at Camp Chase, Feb. 25, 1865, to serve for one year. It left there on Feb. 27, under orders to report to Gen. Thomas at Nashville, but was detained at Louisville by Gen. Palmer, who applied to Gen. Thomas and obtained permission to retain the regiment in Kentucky.
Regimental headquarters were established at Eminence and the companies were scattered through the state from Owensboro to Cumberland gap, the latter place being guarded for several months by four companies of the regiment. Mt. Sterling was guarded by two companies together with a detachment of the 53d Ky., all under the command of Maj. Benjamin. Shelbyville, Lagrange, Greensburg and several other towns were garrisoned at times by companies of the regiment. On Sept. 26 it was mustered out at Lexington, in accordance with orders from the war department.
Source (requires subscription to Ancestry.com)
185th Ohio Infantry (from Wikipedia)
185th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Active February 25, 1865 to September 26, 1865
Country: United States
The 185th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (or 185th OVI) was an infantry regiment in the Union Army during the American Civil War.
The 185th Ohio Infantry was organized at Camp Chase in Columbus, Ohio, and mustered in for one year service on February 25, 1865, under the command of Colonel John E. Cummins. The regiment left Ohio under orders for Nashville, Tennessee, February 27. Detained at Louisville, Kentucky, and assigned to guard duty at various points in Kentucky from Owensboro to Cumberland Gap, with headquarters at Eminence, until September, 1865. Skirmish in Bath County, Kentucky, March 26. Performed garrison duty at Mt. Sterling, Shelbyville, LaGrange, Greensboro, Cumberland Gap, and other locations. The 185th Ohio Infantry mustered out of service September 26, 1865, at Lexington, Kentucky.
The regiment lost a total of 35 enlisted men during service, all due to disease.
Colonel John E. Cummins
This article contains text from "A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" (1908) by Frederick Henry Dyer, a text now in the public domain.
About Camp Chase, where Jonathan enlisted:
Camp Chase was a military staging, training and prison camp in Columbus, Ohio, during the American Civil War. All that remains of the camp today is a Confederate cemetery containing 2,260 graves. The cemetery is located in what is now the Hilltop neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio.
Camp Chase was a Civil War camp established in May 1861, on land leased by the U.S. Government. It served as a replacement for the much smaller Camp Jackson. Four miles west of Columbus, the main entrance was on the National Road. Boundaries of the camp were present-day Broad Street (north), Hague Avenue (east), Sullivant Avenue (south), and near Westgate Avenue (west). Named for former Ohio Governor and Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase, it was a training camp for Ohio volunteer army soldiers, a parole camp, a muster-out post, and a prisoner-of-war camp. The nearby Camp Thomas served as a similar base for the Regular Army.
As many as 150,000 Union soldiers and 25,000 Confederate prisoners passed through its gates from 1861–65. By February 1865, over 9,400 men were held at the prison. More than 2,000 Confederates are buried in the Camp Chase Cemetery.
Four future Presidents passed through Camp Chase—Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, James Garfield, and William McKinley. It also held Confederates captured during Morgan's Raid in 1863, including Col. Basil W. Duke. Early in the war, the prison section held a group of prominent western Virginia and Kentucky civilians suspected of actively supporting secession, including former 3-term United States Congressman Richard Henry Stanton.
The camp was closed in 1865, and by September 1867, dismantled buildings, usable items, and 450 patients from Tripler Military Hospital (also in Columbus) were transferred to the National Soldier's Home in Dayton. In 1895, former Union soldier William H. Knauss organized the first memorial service at the cemetery, and in 1906 he wrote a history of the camp. The Memorial Arch was dedicated in 1902. From 1912 to 1994, the United Daughters of the Confederacy held annual services. The Hilltop Historical Society now sponsors the event on the second Sunday in June.
The Lady in Gray:
The Lady in Gray is purportedly an apparition that haunts Camp Chase Cemetery. The story goes that the ghost is looking for her lost love, and cannot find him in the cemetery. The woman is described as young, in her late teens or early twenties, dressed entirely in gray, and carrying a clean white handkerchief. The legend of the Lady in Gray dates back to just after the Civil War, when visitors to Camp Chase spotted the woman walking through the cemetery, trying to read the carved names on the marked grave markers. She was seen quite often for several years, before disappearing completely.
Camp Chase today:
Aside from the Confederate Cemetery, which still exists, the land that formerly housed Camp Chase is now a residential and commercial area known as Westgate, a community in the Hilltop section of west Columbus. This development was built in the late 1920s and early 1930s, and is now a stable, if aging, Columbus community.
Please refer to the disclaimer on the index page of this blog for a statement regarding the accuracy of - and documentation for - the information presented in this blog.
Last revised March 2nd, 2011